Asphalt is one of the most popular materials for driveway construction because it is durable, long lasting, and easy to maintain. Asphalt is also resistant to weathering and can withstand heavy traffic.
But how long does an asphalt driveway last? If you’re interested to know more, we invite you to continue reading as we’ll tackle this subject in today’s post.
The Expected Lifespan Of A Driveway Made From Asphalt
An asphalt driveway can last anywhere from 10 to 20 years with proper maintenance. It’s important to keep the driveway clear of debris and to seal it every few years. Maintaining your driveway will help extend its lifespan even further.
What Can Damage The Asphalt Surface
Like any other structures, asphalt driveways are also susceptible to damage. And its deterioration will be quicker if it’s constantly exposed to the elements we’re about to discuss in this section.
To be specific, the factors which can damage the surface of an asphalt driveway include:
- Weather – Exposure to extreme weather conditions can cause the surface of an asphalt driveway to deteriorate over time. This includes exposure to sun, rain, snow, and wind.
- Traffic – The more traffic an asphalt driveway experiences, the more wear and tear it will endure. This can result in potholes and cracks forming on the surface.
- Salt – When salt is used to melt ice on roads during winter, it can also seep into cracks in the asphalt and cause further damage.
- Oil and Gasoline – Spills of oil or gasoline can stain and damage the surface of an asphalt driveway.
- Tree Roots – If trees are growing close to an asphalt driveway, their roots can grow underneath and cause the surface to crack or buckle.
With proper maintenance, an asphalt driveway can last for many years. However, the lifespan will ultimately depend on the factors mentioned above. For example, a driveway that experiences little traffic and is not exposed to harsh weather conditions is likely to last longer than one that experiences a lot of traffic and is exposed to harsh weather conditions.
Things You Can Do To Properly Maintain Your Asphalt Driveway
Maintaining an asphalt driveway is a relatively easy process that can be done by most homeowners. Here are a few simple tips to keep your driveway looking its best:
- Sweep or blow off any debris on a regular basis. This will help keep the surface clean and free of any dirt or leaves that can cause staining.
- Use a hose to clean off any spills or stains as soon as they occur. Waiting too long to clean up messes can make them harder to remove and could cause damage to the asphalt.
- Avoid parking in the same spot on the driveway for extended periods of time. This can cause wear and tear on the surface and lead to cracks or other damage.
- Have any cracks or holes repaired as soon as possible. Ignoring these problems can make them worse and lead to expensive repairs down the road.
Following these simple tips can help you keep your asphalt driveway looking its best for many years to come. With proper care, an asphalt driveway can reach its expected lifespan or even longer.
What If You See Damages On The Driveway
If you notice cracks and potholes on your driveway, it’s time to take action! Asphalt driveways can last for many years with proper maintenance, but if left unrepaired, the damage can become more severe and lead to a costly replacement.
If you’re seeing signs of damage, the first step is to identify the cause. Cracks can be caused by shifting in the ground below, weather conditions, or even heavy traffic. Potholes can form when water seeps into the asphalt and softens the surface, leading to it cracking and breaking apart.
Once you’ve identified the cause, you can start to repair the damage. Small cracks can be filled in with a cold patch asphalt sealant, while bigger ones will require a hot patch. For potholes, you’ll need to remove all the debris and then fill it in with fresh asphalt. Make sure to smooth out the surface so that it’s level with the rest of your driveway.
If you’re not comfortable tackling these repairs yourself, you can always call in a professional. A professional asphalt contractor can give the best results in repairing your asphalt, so be sure to get in touch with one as soon as possible or ask the experts from A1 Construction Services in San Antonio, TX about the kind of repair they can do to your driveway. They’ll be able to assess the damage and recommend the best course of action for repairing it.
By taking care of any damage as soon as you notice it, you can help extend the life of your driveway and avoid more costly repairs down the road.